The concept of virtual shopping has taken the entire world by storm and flooded the internet with numerous virtual stores that sell a variety of items ranging from groceries to electronics. In other words, eCommerce industry is growing with leaps and bounds. If statistics were to be believed; by 2018 retailing will no longer be restricted to conventional brick-and-mortar business sphere. Some even suggest that worldwide eCommerce is expected to grow from 13% to 25%, while the worldwide retail will continue to grow at a rate of 5% – 6% across 2018. Looking at this exponential expected growth skeptical investors and more private equity and venture capitalists are showing increased interest to put in their money into this sunshine industry.
Since, virtual retailing is expanding at an exponential pace; outsourcing has started emerging on the horizon. A lot of retailers are opting for outsourcing services for a number of business processes that includes external aspects like website design and development and internal or back-end processes like data entry. It helps them immensely to focus their energies on their core competencies and increasing the ROI.
But what is the data that needs to be entered might be your question. So enlisted are some of the activities, where eCommerce companies partner with outsourcing data entry service providers:
- Capturing product information from a variety of other sources including competitor websites, manufacturer’s websites, physical and digital catalogs, and many more
- Deleting products which are out of stock
- Uploading configurable products and creating attributes of products
- Uploading products image, adding or removing water mark on product image
- Uploading/updating products for your online store
- Writing product description
Outsourcing data related tasks for retailing has gained tremendous momentum. In fact, a lot of successful e-commerce businesses are now hell bend on to outsource data entry services for more efficient management of data related tasks with lesser allocation of internal resources.
Data entry is one of the tasks, often dreaded as it is extremely time consuming and therefore, it is outsourced the most. Online businesses find it beneficial to outsource data entry for a variety of reasons:
- Capable Management of Product Information: Dedicated data entry ensures a systematic storage and management of data across various platforms, therefore making it available for immediate analysis.
- Effective Time management: When you outsource data entry to a different time zone; you evenly distribute enormous volumes of work among highly-trained and experienced data entry operators, and projects can be finished within short turnaround time without putting quality at stake.
- Cost Effectiveness: No infrastructures, no workforce – online merchants can save up to 60% of their revenues by outsourcing data entry jobs and not undertaking it in-house.
- More Focus on Core Competencies: Outsourcing trivial and non-core tasks, make it possible for the in-house employees to focus on mission-critical functions.
- Scalability: Outsourcing allows large volumes of data entry work to be finished in stipulated time frame. This mainly becomes useful during sales or during holidays or festivities, when there is a spike in the size of data and extra resources are needed very badly.
Types of Data Entry Tasks Ecommerce Companies Should Outsource:
Product Data Entry: You can outsource Product data entry tasks like new product entry, category management, upgrading SKU code, details related to pricing, shipping dates and rates, along with specifications and many more.
Outsourcing product data entry makes it the products upload faster and accurate on multiple channels. In a competitive era; online shoppers are usually always on a look-out for the best possible deal, having an up-to-date as well as relevant product data up on the site in the fastest possible manner in turn facilitates the conversion process.
Image Data Entry: Image data entry includes image conversion and image data entry along with tagging. Images play a crucial persuasive role for online shoppers to get the maximum sales. Image tagging outsourcing allows right images to get highlighted for very dissimilar search criteria.
Catalog Data Entry: Catalogs plays a very crucial role; since it educates the users about your product or service by putting the products on a display. A very effective online cataloging enables an easy categorization of products, along with product descriptions and relevant images. Therefore, it heightens visibility of your store.
Catalog data entry is by and large a very cumbersome, labor-intensive task that requires continuous process. You can streamline and even accelerate it by outsourcing catalog data entry to an expert BPO service provider company.
Content Data Entry: Giving a very precise and convincing description of products or services is the very first step to provide the customer a clear picture of what you actually offer.
Outsourcing content data entry helps in communicating better with prospective customers and intended audience. Moreover, it helps in persuading them to go ahead and finally place the order.
Outsourced content data entry helps online retailers to enjoy super high-quality product and category page descriptions; with powerful and attractive display of images as a bonus.
Order Management: While online ordering is favored the most these days amongst shoppers, there still are customers who prefer to pick up their phone and place an order. Orders on phone also need to be keyed in the system and even digitized to effective order fulfillment, and for integration with ERP and CRM systems. Order data entry is, therefore, another important task which can be outsourced.
Data entry outsourcing for retail/eCommerce industry has become a very integral support system for ecommerce and other virtual online businesses. They are all set to reap immense benefits at minimum investments.
About Author: Ritesh Sanghani is a Director at Hi-Tech BPO for the past 10+ years. Ritesh has worked with several international clients and has executed BPO projects of varying scales and complexities.